Friday, March 18, 2016

Blue Grotto

Second in the series of doorways.
Blue Grotto...
Silks, sheers, machine quilted with metallic thread, hand beaded.
I love the little drop beads and pearls. The sign says
Possibility begins with imagination

Is it a doorway into a place, or out of a place?

Silk has such a sheen that the quilting line shows very well. I allowed the blue sheer with spirals to billow up and fray along the stitching line adding to texture.See the little star sequins and seed beads?
(I ended up moving the words)

This is a truer color of the greens used in the preceding piece, The Green Door
  Click here to see the pictures

the above piece was made from these silk scraps.

I will share the next in the series, Abstract flamingo, next week. 

17 comments:

Preeti said...

Possibility begins with imagination - love it. The blues and greens, the beading, the metallic thread - all work beautifully in this well-crafted art quilt!!!
Hugs,
Preeti.
http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

Julie said...

You've created so much movement with your added quilting lines. It really pulls you into the piece. Lovely.

PaintedThread said...

Very pretty - I like the shimmer. It looks like a doorway out.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Very wonderful. Very wonderful. It is such a powerful little piece. Everything just comes together.

I have been toying with a photo I took of a jellyfish. And I envision some of these techniques with sheers involved in that. Thanks for your help with my lady!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Oooh, such pretty blues!

quiltedfabricart said...

Yes, I think it's the movement I like the best - it flows like your imagination

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Love the sheer and the beading. Very eye catching! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

Carli The Quilter said...

Very nice, indigo is prevalent and I love it!

Ann said...

Such a lovely quilt, LeeAnna. Beautiful stitching. It reminds me of Boo's door in Monsters, Inc.

Turid said...

So lovely and inspireing. Beading is a thing I seldom do. But I really love it when others do it.

Joanne said...

It's the door to creativity!
Blue and Yellow/gold! Love that combination!
Green! Copper! bit of beading andd bling!
That's a great book cover !

Take care,
Joanne

Joanne said...

It's the door to creativity!
Blue and Yellow/gold! Love that combination!
Green! Copper! bit of beading andd bling!
That's a great book cover !

Take care,
Joanne

Cathy Perlmutter said...

That is just gorgeous, and so unique! I love it!

AlidaP said...

Very pretty! They are very magical doors indeed! Thanks for sharing your creativity and talent!!

Lara B. said...

Such a beautiful art piece Leeanna! I like that thought "Is it a doorway into a place, or out of a place?"

Susan said...

You are so creative! I need to up my game.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love the blue door... the beading adds so much beauty!