Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Trip through time

What time is it? time for a trip through an antique store! 
What is it about grandfather clocks? I love them!!
Grab a seat....
 and something fresh to drink
put down that sewing for a minute
let the kids put on their own shoes... after all they need to learn to use buttons
And enjoy a trip through time...
Quilts made by people like us who love to sew fabric, see colors and lines appear, and feel the soft comfort of beauty

 Have you ever wondered where all the quilts you've made will end up? 







 I really liked the fresh look of this old quilt. The color scheme is very modern. The block is slightly different from the one I've done...
With curved piecing instead of straight line. I imagine someone working like my grandmother did, in her lap with paper templates and a pencil line, small stitches, one after the other late into the night. Just one more stitch, just one more block. The mix of neutrals with a few neutral blocks thrown in is fresh.
I liked the setting on this bear's paw. The intermittent sashing. Slight color variance. Hand quilting. The paws float in white, but the white is broken up by the broken line of green too.

I wonder if the maker dithered over choices the way I do?

Looks like she probably took someone's UFO and set it herself with fabric close to the original color.




Shall we drive to the fabric store???
Off to the garage...
I had a heart flutter when I saw all of these!

as a child, I discovered one like these in our old garage. It was rusty but just the right size for my little legs to reach the inside pedals.I felt the thrill of a first car! Shall we take the blue convertible or the firechief's car? Red looks good on everyone! Did you have a car like this?

Well, time to put down our toys...
And go to an estate sale for more fun objects. Objects collected over a life time...
This was the home of a quilter I suspect. She had two or three machines for sale and this cool table...
I thought it was so very clever. Then this weekend I saw an artisan in Annapolis had made a console table covered with yardsticks!! No new ideas under the sun!
I wanted this cabinet, with the birdhouse and the tea servce

I wish I could tour the cellar too...
The home was awesome... built in 1800's with the pretty details one never see's today. I want to imagine growing up here, wearing the button shoes, swinging on a swing on an old old tree...

Granny sitting on the porch with a pan of beans in her lap to shuck for dinner that night.


I suppose the trees would have only been a couple hundred years old at that point










Old trees, old when the first homes were built, older now.
Old but functional barns harken to another time

For a sentimental person who loves history and people and just wants to imagine living in this time it was a trip into imagination... A lovely New England Fall day
Y'all come back now, ya hear?
I hope one day I'll sing the song, Our house is a very very very fine house, with one poodle in the yard, life used to be so hard, now everything is easier 'cause of you....
linking to
https://www.sewcanshe.com/
Esther's blog Wednesdays 
Let's be social Wednesdays 
Midweek makers wednesdays

20 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I enjoyed your trip down memory lane. Our eyes are drawn to many of the same things. Now I'll be humming that song the rest of the day.

Sara said...

Isn't it just food for the soul to wander through an antique shop with such treasures? I rarely do that anymore because I always end up buying something I don't need. Those quilts and the pedal cars!!! Oh my!!!

Susan said...

Looks like you had a super fun time looking down memory lane. That store certainly had quite the variety of items of things long past. Thanks for sharing the trip!

Joanne said...

Love those old trees! If only they could share their stories with you! like the quilts!

claudia said...

Yep. I'm singing it!
Love all the same old familiar things you have shown!
I didn't have one of those cars. My parents made me play with dolls. I think they knew a car would be far too dangerous with me behind the wheel. So I took up making doll clothes. But back to the cars...I would have driven off in that blue convertible!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a fun post, LeeAnna! You are such a clever writer - I enjoyed spending a little time at the antique shop and estate sale with you. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Quilting Babcia said...

Beautiful! I'd love to have seen that antique shop, and as for the estate sale, well, let's just say it's probably better that I didn't!

Julie said...

What a beautiful post, I love all the antiques and treasures you saw, Thanks for sharing it.

sonja said...

Thanks for the lovely East coasty fall tour of well made and vintage things we all love.i love trees and leaves too! Hey, i see a singer fw just like mine in that shop window! what fun! Am sewing chicken ornies today on mine, Peppy Dora is her name. Thanks again for the fun post. be well,sonja

Danice G said...

What a wonderful time you had. Thank you for sharing with us. I love antique clocks, sewing machines, quilts, everything antique, lol.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

What an amazing antique shop! Love all the goodies, especially those vintage toy cars, and those quilts! The setting is wonderful, too. I feel so homesick. Grew up in Mass. Hope you found a few treasures. xx Karen

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Yes, I have thought about the quilts and where they will be when I am long gone. How nice it would have been for those quilts to have had a label!!

Michelle said...

Those clocks! I have been looking at different types of antique clocks, lately. I love their chimes. Thanks for linking up today and have a great weekend.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

That was so enjoyable! My kind of fun looking at vintage things and beautiful old homes.

Cindy D. said...

I have never been to an antique store before. It looks so fun and looks like they have sooooo many items to look through. I love the quilts! I may just have to go find an antique store.

-Natalie A.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A wonderful post, loved reading this!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I agree I love this post, and all the cool antiques. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Marcotte said...

What a fun post! I love anything old: museums, old houses, barns, collections, pieces, pictures. Just anything! It's always fun but really difficult to leave the time behind.
That blue/neutral quilt is to die for!

Lynn said...

Oh I enjoyed your post, pedal cars, old tables and thoughts of what others have done before - thank you.

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh, how cool! My heart skipped a beat when I saw the Featherweight. I already have two and don't need a third, but if I was there with you I'm sure I couldn't have resisted it! I love the table with the yardstick set into the top. On my last cutting table I had a modern version of that, a stick on ruler tape that went all along the table edges of both sides. I didn't put it on the new cutting table (yet) but I really missed it yesterday, when I was measuring lengths of fabric for backings! Thanks for sharing your delightful adventure through time. Oh, and one more thing -- I have a 16 year old son who is BEGGING for a car. When I saw those little toy ones in this post, I laughed out loud, because I am just the nasty sort of mom who would park one of those in the driveway to surprise him when he came home from school... Mwahahaha! ;-)